With blackberries coming this week from Stehly Farms Organics, we thought it would be a good time to share 5 amazing health benefits of blackberries!
Nope, blackberries aren’t technically “berries.” Botanically speaking, they’re an aggregate fruit comprised of lots of tiny fruits clustered together, with a tiny seed housed inside each “drupelet.” Feel free to use that fact to impress your friends!
5 Amazing Health Benefits of Blackberries
Each blackberry is loaded with flavor, nutrition, and disease-fighting phytochemicals. And if you’re eating organic blackberries like the ones we have from Stehly Farms Organics, you can take comfort in knowing that you and your family are not eating synthetic pesticides.
Here are five health benefits of blackberries that you should know about:
- Blackberries can help protect you against a wide range of diseases such as cancer. In fact, a recent UCLA study found that compounds in blackberries “contain a diverse range of phytochemicals with biological properties such as antioxidant, anticancer, anti-neurodegerative, and anti-inflammatory activities.” Source
- Blackberries promote brain function and may help reverse “age-related deficits in behavioral and neuronal function.” Source
- Blackberries can help prevent or reduce gastric inflammation and stomach ulcers. Source
- Blackberries are extraordinarily heart-healthy. Unique anthocyanin compounds in blackberries protect against endothelial dysfunction which is associated with heart disease, heart failure, and heart attacks. Source
- With summer coming, it’s interesting to note that blackberries help protect your skin from sun damage! Source
If these 5 amazing health benefits of blackberries don’t make you hungry, then just imagine the sweet juicy deliciousness you’ll experience when you bite into a fresh-picked organic blackberry in your weekly farmbox!
Want to get creative in the kitchen with your blackberries? Check out this surprisingly delicious green bean and blackberry salad recipe. Yep, we have organic green snap beans this week too. Enjoy!
Get your Daily Harvest Express order placed right now (or no later than Sunday evening at 5 pm) so you can enjoy another week of fresh, healthy food from local farmers!
If you’re an existing customer, check out the What’s In My Box page to see what’s headed your way or to customize your order. If you’re a new customer, learn more about which service is best for you by clicking the button below:
Want to get more articles like this?
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get more local food & farming news from Daily Harvest Express!