Brighten your morning with tangy oranges & plums, and all the comforts of oatmeal. Gluten free & vegan!
Plum and Orange Oatmeal
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- Pinch of salt
- 1 orange or 2 mandarins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 plums
- Shredded coconut to serve
- In a saucepan, bring the almond (or coconut) milk and water to a boil, and then turn down the heat to medium-low. Add the steel-cut oats and salt, and stir well.
- Zest the orange, and then cut it into segments. Add the zest and segments to the saucepan. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Steel-cut oatmeal generally takes 20 - 30 minutes to cook. As it’s cooking, add more almond milk if it looks as though the oatmeal is drying out.
- When the oatmeal is close to being ready (about 5 minutes off), dice the plums and add them to the saucepan.
- Once the oats have softened and are creamy, divide the oatmeal between two bowls. Top each bowl with a handful of shredded coconut, and enjoy!
1 cup of rolled oats can be substituted for the steel-cut oats. Rolled oats will only take approximately 5-8 minutes to cook. Recipe from The Breakfast Drama Queen.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!