The freshness of fennel and tomato brighten up the grilled fish in this dish. A light and satisfying meal perfect for summer evenings.
Tomato and Fennel Salad with Grilled Flaked Fish
- 2 lemons
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound fish fillets tuna, trout, halibut, or even any whitefish
- 1 handful fresh marjoram or oregano chopped
- 8 plum tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes
- 2 fennel bulbs trimmed, fronds reserved
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 red chilli deseeded and finely sliced, optional
- Mix together olive oil, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Drizzle this all over the fish then pat on the chopped marjoram or oregano. Put your fillets on the hottest part of the grill (make sure your grill is really clean to prevent the fish from sticking). Mix lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper together. Drizzle mixture over fish. Pat the herbs on the fish. Place fillets on the hottest part of the grill.
- Cook about 2 minutes on each side, until fish is flaky. If it breaks up, don't worry about it, as it'll be served flaked anyway. Remove from grill and place on a warm plate.
- To make the salad, slice the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Arrange on your plates.
- Finely slice your fennel bulb and dress it in a bowl with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper then scatter over your tomatoes.
- Spoon over your fish, flaking it as you go. Scatter over your reserved fennel tops, drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and scatter with chilli, if using, to finish.
Recipe from Jamie Oliver.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!