Parsley recipes? Isn’t parsley that lacy green stuff sometimes served as a garnish on the side of your plate?
Yes, but parsley can be sooo much more than a garnish. In fact, it can be as central to a dish as lettuce, kale, or other leafy greens.
Technically, there are three different types of parsley:
- Curly Leaf Parsley
- Italian/Flat Leaf Parsley
- Thick-Stemmed Parsley
All three varieties taste nearly identical, can be used interchangeably in dishes, and have the same nutritional benefits.
Parsley Is a Nutritional Powerhouse
Why should you eat parsley?
For starters, fresh organic parsley (like the Italian Flat Leaf parsley we’re offering this week from Be Wise Ranch) is bursting with nuanced, sweet and herbal flavors. It’s also absolutely loaded with nutrition.
In fact, a single cup of raw parsley has:
- 101% of your daily value (DV) of Vitamin A
- 133% DV of vitamin C
- 1,230% DV of Vitamin K
- 23% DV of Folate
- 21% DV of Iron
Parsley is also an excellent source of bioflavonoids and antioxidants. Not to mention, it’s loaded with rare volatile oil compounds that have been proven to have powerful anti-cancer properties.
Top 5 Parsley Recipes From Around the World
Now, are you ready to eat some parsley? We hope so!
Here are our Top-5 Parsley Recipes from around the world:
- Tabbouleh from the Mediterranean islands – recipe. A starch (it has bulgur wheat) and a salad all in one!
- Chimichurri from Argentina – recipe. Technically a sauce that’s often put over chicken or beef, chimichurri is also delicious as a veggie dip or drizzled over flatbread.
- Green harissa from North Africa – recipe. Like chimichurri, harissa is often used as a sauce for meats, but it can also be served over couscous or used as a veggie dip or served on flatbread.
- Parsley parathas from India – recipe. This is a flatbread with delicious herbs (including fresh parsley) baked into it! If you want to really go heavy on parsley during a meal, you could dip pieces of paratha into chimichurri or green harissa.
- Parsley cake from America – recipe. Hey, we’re a young country full of creative people from all over the world… and we love dessert. Even though parsley cake might not be synonymous with America (yet), we think this recipe is quintessentially American: sweet, creative, and new. Plus it shows off just how versatile parsley can be!
We hope these parsley recipes help make you hungry and healthy. Enjoy!
Get your Daily Harvest Express order placed right now (or no later than Sunday evening at 5 pm) so you can enjoy fresh, healthy food from local farmers! Would you like to get a fresh basket of fruit into your company’s break room? Click here
If you’re an existing customer, check out the What’s In My Box page to see what’s headed your way or to customize your order. If you’re a new customer, learn more about which service is best for you by clicking the button below:
Want to get more articles like this?
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get more local food & farming news from Daily Harvest Express!