Asparagus & Mushroom Egg Bennies
- 12 asparagus spears
- 3 tsp olive oil divided
- 1 green onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter divided
- 2-2/3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices French bread toasted
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Sauté asparagus in 1 tsp oil in a large skillet until crisp-tender. Set aside
- Sauté green onion in 2 tsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter until tender. Add mushrooms & garlic. Cook 4 minutes. Add sherry, stir in cream and salt. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring 2 minutes until slightly thickened Stir in basil.
- Meanwhile, poach the eggs. Fill large skillet with water, add vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a saucer, holding it close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water.
- Cook, uncovered, until whites are set and yoks are soft, about 4 minutes. With a sotted spoon, lift eggs out of the water.
- Spread remaining butter over toast slices. Top each with asparagus, a poached egg and mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with pepper and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.