Taking the frying out of falafel with avocado & using lentils instead of chic peas makes for a lighter and satisfying option! This is a large batch that is easy to freeze & save some for a rainy day.
Baked Avocado Falafel
- 1 lb lentils
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro about 1 cup
- 1 bunch fresh parsley about 1 cup
- 1 avocado
- 1 jalapeño
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- Cook lentils according to package directions. Let cool to room temp.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Pulse lentils, fresh cilantro and parsley including stems, avocado, jalapeno, garlic, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor until combined. This is best done in batches.
- Stir together pulsed mixture and slowly fold in flour. Mixture will be soft and wet.
- Scoop falafels onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, about a scant 1/4 cup each.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes, until tops are just beginning to brown.
- Turn over and bake for an additonal 5 minutes. Serve.
- For any remaining falafel not served or eaten, let completely cool before storing in fridge or freezer.