Celery and pear make a hearty and satisfying soup perfect for autumn.
Celery and Pear Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter 1/4 stick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped shallots
- 1 1/2 cups pear peeled & coarsely chopped
- 4 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 medium shallots thinly sliced
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter until foaming. Add olive oil, shallots, and pear. Season well with salt and ground pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add celery and thyme, season with more salt and pepper, and sweat until most of the liquid has evaporated and the celery has just started to soften, about 12 minutes.
- Add broth and water, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and simmer until celery is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Using a blender, purée soup in batches until smooth. Return soup to the stove to reheat. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a small frying pan until bubbling or about 325°F to 350°F.
- Add half of the shallots and fry until golden. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels, season with salt, and repeat with remaining shallots.
- Serve soup topped with fried shallots.
Recipe from Chowound.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!