Charred Chilled Dragon Tongue Beans
Colorful dragon tongue beans charred & chilled. This salad is as delicious as it is inventive.
- 1 pound dragon tongue beans
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus more as needed
- kosher salt to taste
- "Frenchie Dressing
- 3 scallions thinly sliced lengthwise & cut into 3 inches
- 1/3 cup roasted almonds
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 pasilla peppe very thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Whisk both mustards with the vinegar, garlic and lemon juice in a medium bowl.While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Continue whisking until the dressing is emulsified.
- Toss the beans with the oil and salt until evenly coated. Heat two large skillets over high heat.
- When the surface is hot, spread the beans in an even layer on the skillets & add another drizzle of oil, about 1 tsp per skillet. When the bottoms brown and blister, toss the beans and continue cooking for 3-5minutes, until there’s some char but still a little bite to them. Pull beans from the heat as they brown & place in a bowl.
- Toss warm beans with 2 Tbsp of dressing. Let sit uncovered until room temperature. Cover& chill overnight.
- When you’re ready to serve, soak the scallions in a medium bowl of ice water until crisp, about 5 minutes. Pat dry.
- Put the almonds on a cutting board and crush with a heavy skillet or the flat side of a knife until they crack into smaller pieces. On the board, drizzle the nuts with ½ tsp olive oil, sprinkle with ⅛ tsp salt & toss until evenly coated.
- Transfer two-thirds to the bowl with the beans. Add scallions, lemon juice, and as many pepper slices as you like and toss well. Taste and add more dressing if needed. Transfer to serving plates. Top with remaining almonds & serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Sippity Sup.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!