A St. Patrick’s Day soup with all the traditional fixins so you can enjoy your corned beef & cabbage to the fullest!
Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks chopped (whites & light green only)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 medium carrots chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 1 lb lean corned beef brisket
- 6 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley plus more for garnish
- 1 large potato peeled & cubed
- 1 small head cabbage cored & chopped
- Fresh pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium low heat, add leaks and sauté until soft, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker with the carrots, yellow pepper, corned beef, potatoes, peppercorns or seasoning packet that comes with the corned beef, bay leaves, parsley, and water.
- Cover & cook on high until corned beef is tender, 4 ¼ hours on high or 8 ½ hours on low.
- Remove corned beef, set it on a cutting board & shred with a fork. Return to the pot, arrange cabbage over corned beef, cover, and continue cooking on high until cabbage is tender, 45 minutes on high or 1 ½ hours on low.