The secret to making gazpacho with no cream taste creamy is a household staple that can be used to thicken just about any soup. The key to perfection is in the technique.
Creamy No Cream Gazpacho
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 1 large Cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 ounces crusty bread
- 3/4 cup ice water plus more for adjusting texture
- 1/4 cup red wine or sherry vinegar plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for serving
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika plus more for serving
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Core tomatoes. Cut in half crosswise & discard the seeds. Cut into chunks and put in a large bowl.
- Peel cucumber and cut in half lengthwise. With a small spoon, scoop out seeds. Chop coarsely and add to tomatoes.
- Core, seed, and coarsely chop bell pepper. Coarsely chop onion and garlic. Tear bread into pieces.
- Put bell pepper, onion, garlic, bread, ice water, vinegar, olive oil, salt & smoked paprika in bowl with tomato mixture. Toss until ingredients are combined and bread is moistened. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- Transfer ingredients to a blender and blend on high until smooth, scraping down sides as needed (blend in batches if needed), 2 minutes. Add more ice water if needed to get thick but pourable consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if you like, with more smoked paprika, vinegar, salt, and olive oil.
- Chop parsley. Serve icy cold, ladled into bowls with parsley and a drizzle of olive oil. Store in refrigerator up to 3 days.