Easy from scratch recipe for homemade pastry crust and the sophisticated combination of fennel and apple make this recipe a fall favorite.
Sticky Fennel & Apple Tart
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 teaspoons ice water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 apples peeled & chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 fennel bulb
- fennel fronds for garnish
- In a food processor, mix together flour and salt. Add butter, pulsing until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add water 1 teaspoon at a time, process just until dough clumps together and begins to form a ball.
- Flour your surface and roll out dough.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place rolled pastry on top.
- Heat the sugar and water together in a saucepan.
- Once the sugar is dissolved , stir in the fennel and apple. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer until softened. Stir in cornstarch.
- Spoon mixture onto rolled out dough. Slowly draw the pastry towards the center of the mixture. Garnish with fennel fronds if desired.
- Bake in pre heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Recipe from food52.com.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!