Keep warm in the winter with sweet glazed carrots and braised butter lettuce. Who says lettuce is only for salad?
Glazed Carrots with Braised Lettuce
- 1 pound carrots washed
- 1 tsp sweetener of your choice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- A dash of black pepper to taste
- 6 butter lettuce leaves
- Place everything except the lettuce in a large saute pan. Add about a cup of cold water or just enough to reach 1/8” from the top of the carrots.
- Heat over high heat and bring to boil. Cook until carrots are tender and water evaporates to a glaze. Adjust the water and cooking time as needed for the carrots to be tender and the glaze to form (if the carrots are cooking too quickly, remove them to reduce the glaze).
- As the water gets close to being done, add the lettuce and let it wilt and get soft-about 30 seconds. Adjust the seasoning as desired, plate & drizzle the glaze on top to serve.