Grilled Artichokes with Thai-Style Marinade
- 2 artichokes
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 inch ginger peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- ` green onion thinly sliced
- 1 lime
- Optional: Trim and steam the artichokes in advance. If you have time, marinade them overnight & grill 10 minutes before serving.
- Tri artichoke stems, remove the small tough leaves on the outside, trim the top of the artichoke and pointed tips on the leaves.
- Put the artichokes cut-side-up in a covered pot fit with a vegetable steamer. Fill the bottom of the pot with water. add a splash of olive oil and squeeze 1/1 a lemon over the artichokes. Add the squeezed lemon half to the pot. Bring the water to a boil, cover and steam for 35 minutes, until tender. Remove from the steamer and set aside to cool.
- Sauce: Mix the ginger, garlic, sugar, fish sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, cuin and crushed red pepper together in a small bowl.
- Slice cooled artichokes in half from stem to top Use a spoon to remove the artichoke heart. Place the artichokes in a zip-lock plastic bag and pour half of the suce over the artichokes. Refrigerate overnight is awesome, but 30 minutes is okay, too.
- Add sliced green onions to the remining sauce and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Grill the artichokes over a medium-hot grill, cut-side down for minutes. Flip over and grill another 4 minutes. Serve with the dip.