Grilled Heirloom Tomato Sandwiches with Green Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho
Grilled cheese and tomato soup elevated to absolute deliciousness! This will be your go to lunch for heirloom tomatoes.
- 1 pound ripe green heirloom tomatoes cut into large chunks
- 1 cucumber diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup roasted salted almonds
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar any variety
- 1 tsp coarse kosher salt or more to taste
- 8 slices brioche or challa trimmed to 5"x3"
- 1 8 oz package smoked mozarella cheese cut into 1" wide by 1/4: slices
- 1 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- Combine first 8 ingredients & 1 tsp coarse salt in food processor. Blend until almost smooth. Some texture should remain.
- Season with pepper, and more salt if desired. Transfer to medium bowl & cover. Chill at least 3 hours.
- Cut each bread slice into a rectangle, about 4 1/2"x2 1/2". Arrange on a work surface.
- Top bread with half of the cheese slices, trimming to fit, and 2 tomato slices. Sprinkle tomatoes with salt & pepper.
- Top with remaining cheese and remaining bread. Press to compact.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches. Cover and cook until bread is golden, turning once, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer sandwiches to paper towels. Cut each sandwich in half.
- Divide gazpacho among 4 bowls. Place on plates & arrange sandwiches alongside.
Recipe from Epicurious.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!