Bake heirloom tomatoes in a cheesy dish that’s not too heavy & simply delicious.
Heirloom Tomato Bake
- 1/2 Tbsp butter plus more for the baking dish
- 1 cup bread of your choice finely diced
- 2 green bell peppers finely diced
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Parmesan cheese as desired
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Basil thinly sliced
- Preheat your oven to 375°. Butter a 12" x 8"baking dish.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the green pepper and onion. Cook for about five minutes, until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Take off the heat and stir in the bread.
- Place half of the bell pepper mixture evenly across the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half the mozzarella cheese.
- Layer the tomatoes in the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top tomatoes with the remaining half of the bell pepper mixture.
- Top that with the remaining 1½ cups mozzarella cheese, and sprinkle as desired with shredded Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden. When hot out of the oven, sprinkle with basil. Cool at least 10 minutes, then slice or scoop, and serve.