Flan means something different to the Irish than what we’re used to in the San Diego area. This fresh fruit & cream cake is bright & fun, a perfect St. Patrick’s Day dessert recipe & a great way to use the fruit in our boxes.
Irish Fruit Cream Flan
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cups cake flour plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream to decorate
- 2 tablespoons confectionary sugar to decorate
- 2 cups fresh mandarins and/ or kiwis
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Grease and flour an 11-inch round fluted baking pan.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl and add the sugar. Use an electric mixer to beat the eggs and sugar together until the egg mixture has become very thick and turned a very pale yellow.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together. Use a large spoon or spatula to fold the flour into the egg mixture, one third at a time.
- Pour the sponge mixture into the prepared flan dish. Use a spatula to spread it evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Cool for 2 minutes before inverting on a wire tray to cool completely.
- Decorate with freshly whipped cream and fruit.