A warm Jasmine rice side salad with julienne carrots and fresh snap peas is a perfect side for just about any dish.
Jasmine Rice Salad with Snap Peas and Carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 5 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound snap peas
- 1 large carrot julienned
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Place the peas in the pot & let boil for 1 1/2 minutes. Then, put them in a bowl of ice water using a slotted spoon, and fully submerge.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet until almost smoking.
- Add the onions and cook until soft. Then add the garlic, cumin, nutmeg, coriander, and ginger, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rice to the pan and coat with the rest of the ingredients that are in the pan.
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15-18 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat, fluff with a fork & fold in the peas, carrots, and parsley. Serve at room temperature.
*Carrots are julienned, and served raw, no need to blanche. Recipe from Bobby Flay.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!