Just the right amount of sweet, tart, tangy & savory for an apple dessert that’s perfect for summertime. With fresh basil, creamy ricotta & nutty pistachios, you’ve got yourself a real Italian treat!
Apple & Herb Frozen Dessert
- 2 1/2 cups Apple preferably a sour variety
- 3/8 cup unfiltered apple juice or cider
- 2 lemons zested and juiced
- 1 cup Basil
- 2 Tbsp pistachio shelled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup cream
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- Quarter, peel and core the apples. Put into a pan with the apple juice, bring to the boil, cover and cook for 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Wash the basil, shake dry and pick off the leaves.
- Puree the apples with the cooking liquid, lemon juice, basil leaves, 1 tbsp pistachios, and sugar. Blend in the grated lemon rind, cream, and ricotta. Finely chop the rest of the pistachios and mix in.
- Transfer the mixture to a metal bowl and put into the freezer for about 4 hours. Stir frequently to prevent any large ice crystals from forming (alternatively finish off in an ice cream maker).