Menemen is one of the most memorable & tastiest dishes in Turkey. Using fresh tomatoes highlights the deliciousness of the authentic flavor.
Menemen (Turkish Scrambled Egg Dish)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano optional
- 1 small onion finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup finely diced shishito padrón, or Chinese green long pepper
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh ripe peeled tomatoes or drained canned tomatoes
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- In a medium non-stick or cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over low heat until barely warm. Add paprika, oregano, onion, and peppers. Season with salt and a very generous amount of black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until deepened in color. Remove half of mixture and reserve.
- Return pan to heat and add eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until just barely set. Immediately remove from heat and gently fold in reserved vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with chives, if using, and serve immediately.
- Serve in the pan & share as a family with bread.
Recipe from Splendid Table.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!