Stuffed artichokes make for a full & fun meal all on their own!
Nonna's Stuffed Artichokes
- 4 medium artichokes
- 1 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley
- 3 cloves garlic chopped finely
- milk as much as needed
- salt & pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound peas
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 pound pancetta thinly sliced
- Clean the artichokes by removing the harder outer leaves, trim and unpeel the stem and cut the top part of the leaves as they may have thorns. The remaining leaves should be pale green. Wash and drain the artichokes well.
- Cut each artichoke in half and put in a bowl with cold water.
- In a bowl, mix the cheese, bread crumbs, eggs, 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, garlic, parsley, salt & pepper as desired. If the mix is too hard, add a little milk. The mix should have a soft consistency but not runny.
- In a baking pan, add the peas at the bottom together with the onion and the pancetta. Salt and pepper as desired.
- Add 3 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Take each artichoke's half, add a lump of mix to cover the entire cut surface of the artichoke. Position the artichokes in the bed of peas
- Add 1-2 cups of water to the pan enough to cover half of the artichoke.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Put the pan on the stove and let the water come to a boil. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for about 20-30 minutes. depending on the size of the artichokes. If necessary switch the oven to broil to give a golden color to the artichokes. Serve.