Mushroom Asparagus Strata
A strata is a puffy casserole made with bread & eggs. Perfect for Mother's Day. You can mix up or swap the veggies as desired.
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 lb sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 loaf herb or French bread cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/2 lb asparagus trimmed, cut into 1" pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/4 onion finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- Make the night before! Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook & stir the mushrooms until their liquid is almost evaporated and they're beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Place bread cubes in a greased 9x13" baking dish. Spread 1/2 cup of cheese over the bread in a layer, and distribute the asparagus pieces, mushrooms, red pepper, and onion over the cheese. Optional: add crispy cooked bacon or sausage on top of the bread
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, dry mustard, and black pepper in a bowl, and pour mixture over the bread & veggies. Fold gently. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 375°.
- Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and let stand for 30 minutes. Spread 1/2 cup cheese in a layer over the casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted near the edge comes out clean, 40 minutes. Let stand 8 minutes before cutting into squares.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!