The warmth of soup with all the comforts of winter spices, apples and colorful red cabbage.
Red Cabbage & Apple Soup
- 2 Tbsp canola oil or unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 head red cabbage shredded
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 7 cups water
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 4 apples preferably tart variety like Pink Lady
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Yogurt for topping
- Heat oil over medium heat in a soup pot & add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until it begins to soften, 3 minutes.
- Add the spices and stir together for another few minutes, until the onion is tender.
- Stir in the cabbage and a generous pinch of salt. Cook, stirring until the cabbage is limp, about 5 minutes.
- Add the water, honey, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, core one of the apples & slice it thin. Place slices in a bowl of water with 1 Tbsp lemon juice. Set aside.
- Core and dice the remaining apples and add them to the soup. Cover and continue to simmer for another 20-30 minutes, until the apples are tender & the soup is sweet and fragrant. Add salt & pepper to taste. Stir in lemon juice.
- Serve, topped with yogurt and apple slices.
From New York Times Get your red cabbage here.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!