Sauteed Collard Greens with Eggs & Polenta
Filling & soul-warming polenta & collard greens, topped with a fried egg! YUM!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt and a little bit of black pepper
- 1 pound chopped bacon
- t onion chopped
- 1 bunch collard greens stems removed & sliced into ribbons
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Bring milk & water to a rapid simmer in a medium saucepan. Slowly pour in the cornmeal, whisking continuously. Season with salt & pepper.
- Continue cooking till it begins to thicken. Reduce heat to low, stirring often, scraping the bottom & sides for about 25 minutes till it's nice & creamy. Turn off the heat & put on the lid to keep it warm.
- Cook bacon in a skillet till almost done. Pour off most of the fat and then add the onion and cook 8 more minutes to caramelize the onion.
- Add the collard greens & 1/2 tsp salt. Sauté a few minutes and add chicken broth. Reduce heat, cover pan and simmer for 7 minutes till collard greens are dark green and soft. Season with salt & pepper.
- Fry the eggs in butter, in another pan.
- Put a big scoop of polenta on the plate.
- Top with the greens & bacon.
- Top with the egg & season as desired. Try with hot sauce!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!