Start with roasting fresh corn, then let the slow cooker do it’s magic to make a roasted corn chowder that’s both tasty & filling any time of the year.
Slow Cooker Roasted Corn Chowder
- 2 cups fresh corn
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 celery rib chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 poblano pepper chopped-or any green pepper (Anaheim or green bell)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup half and half
- Salt and pepper
- Roast the corn in a 350° oven in the husks for 30 minutes by placing them directly on the oven rack. Shuck, and cut the kernels from the cob. Save the cobs and set aside.
- Add the corn, broth, onion, garlic, carrot, celery, red pepper, green pepper, and bay leaf to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cobbs.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. During the last hour of cooking, take 1/2 of the soup and add it to a blender. Blend until smooth and add back to slow cooker. Remove cobs.
- Stir in the milk and let cook for last 60 minutes.
- Stir in the half and half. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Recipe adapted from Slender Kitchen.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!