Soffrito is a healthy way to start any meal with some flavor. Add sugar snap peas and mint to brighten it up and make it a fun side dish.
Sugar Snap Peas with Soffrito, Hot Pepper & Mint
- 1/4 + 2 Tbsp Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots finely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs finely chopped
- 1/2 pound medium red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds sugar snap peas halved crosswise
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup torn mint leaves
- sea salt to taste
- In a medium skillet, heat ¼ cup of the olive oil. Add carrots, celery, onion & bell pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until the soffrito is tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 Tbsp of olive oil until shimmering. Add the snap peas and cook over high heat just until they are bright green, about 2 minutes. Add the sofrito and cook until the snap peas are lightly browned in spots, about 2 more minutes.
- Add the torn mint and season with salt. Serve hot or at room temperature.