This lentil soup packs a lot of flavor & nutrients with brussels sprouts, carrots, bell peppers and onion. Spiced up with chipotles & only 5 minutes prep time.
Spicy Lentil & Brussels Sprouts Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion finely chopped, 1 medium onion
- 1 cup red bell pepper finely chopped, 1 large bell pepper
- 1 cup carrots finely chopped, about 3 medium carrots
- 1 cup celery finely chopped, 2 stalks of celery
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 cups veggie or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups brown or green lentils
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts shredded
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce* (you can find these in the Mexican section of any market)
- 1 avocado diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and add the onion, peppers, carrots, celery, garlic, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper. Cook this mixture until the veggies are tender-5-8 minutes.
- Add the stock, lentils, Brussels Sprouts, chipotles, and another 1 teaspoon of salt to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cook 35-40 minutes until the lentils are al dente. Taste soup and add salt if necessary and more stock or water if soup is too thick.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the remaining 1 cup of Brussels sprouts, the avocado, lime juice, and remaining ½ teaspoon of salt together until well combined.
- To serve, divide the soup into serving bowls and top it with the Brussels sprout mixture and some cilantro.
Recipe & image from furtherfood.com
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!