Carrot relish is a great addition to so many dishes to add fun flavor & texture. Make this spicy & sweet condiment ahead & refrigerate or freeze it, then add it to sandwiches, meats, salads & more.
Spicy & Sweet Carrot Relish
- 1 pound carrots coarsely shredded, about 4 cups
- 3 Tbsp minced jalapeno pepper
- 3 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds toasted & crushed
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- Combine all of the ingredients in a 10-inch sauté pan set over medium heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced and the mixture is sticky and glossy, about 20 minutes. If the relish appears too dry, add a little apple juice or water.
- Wash the jars, lids, and bands in hot soapy water, rinse well, and place them upside down on a clean towel to drain.
- Spoon the relish into the jars, leaving a half inch of headroom to allow for expansion during freezing. Cover each jar with a square of wax paper slightly larger than the jar opening, fold in the corners with a clean spoon, and gently push down so some of the syrup comes up over the paper. Wipe the rims with a clean wet cloth or paper towel, add the lids and bands, and finger tighten the bands.
- Label the jars. Allow the relish to cool completely and tighten the bands before storing in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Add this topping to your salads, meats, or sandwiches for a burst of flavor!