Whether you use zucchini or summer squash, these low carb taco boats are little lighter and every bit as tasty as tacos with tortillas.
Taco Summer Squash Boats
- 4 medium summer squash or zucchini halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 small onion chopped fine
- 1/4 cup Bell Pepper chopped fine
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions or cilantro for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 °.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds of the squash. Scoop out 3/4 cup of the squash & reserve.
- Place the squash in the boiling water for 1 minute, then place on a paper towel to drain.
- Spoon 1/4 cup salsa into the bottom of a large baking dish and arrange squash face up. Set aside.
- Brown turkey in a large skillet until no longer pink. Add seasoning, onion, pepper, reserved chopped squash, tomato sauce and water and stir to combine. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Fill each squash boat with the turkey mixture, then top with cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes or until squash is soft and cheese is melted. Garnish and serve with salsa.
Recipe from Smile Sandwich.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!