This turnip gratin is a feast on it’s own. We used locally grown Tokyo turnips for this rich & earthy gratin.
- 4 slices thick cut bacon finely chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar
- 1 pound turnips quartered
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 12 ounces mushrooms roughly chopped
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 475°.
- In a large cast iron skillet cook the bacon over medium heat until cooked through and lightly crisp (it will cook a little more in the oven so no need to get it extra crispy) With a slotted spoon remove the bacon from the pan to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Add the onion to the bacon drippings (you should have about 1 tablespoon leftover, if there’s way more than that pour out some and save for future use). Cook the onion until soft and tender, about 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and place in a bowl. Add the walnuts to the same pan and cook, shaking the pan often, until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the walnuts to the bowl with the onion and sprinkle in the bacon. Add parsley and cheese. Toss the whole mixture well. Keep to the side.
- Wipe out the cast iron (you’ll be using it again).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the turnips and blanch for 3 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water to help stop the cooking.
- Melt the butter in the cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, a hefty pinch of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to give up some of their liquid, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and nutmeg and continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and simmer for 1 minute. Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the cream. Cook until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the turnips. Sprinkle evenly with the bacon onion mixture. Place into the oven and bake until bubbly, approximately 15-18 minutes.