Make the sweetness of mandarins even sweeter when you bake them into an upside down cake.
Vegan Mandarin Orange Upside Down Cake
- 6-8 mandarins
- 2 Tbsp vegan margarine
- 2 Tbsp superfine sugar make your own by blending raw or granulated sugar in a high powered blender
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- Marmalade melted & mixed with 2 Tbsp water for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9” sealed loose bottom cake pan.
- Rub the margarine into the cake tin & sprinkle over the sugar evenly. Peel, cut mandarins into 3 pieces each. Lay them cut side down into the cake tin, fill any gaps with quarters or halves. Set aside while you make the cake.
- In a medium size bowl, combine all the wet ingredients together.
- In a large mixing bowl add the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour in the wet ingredients and stir lightly.
- Once the mix has combined, pour it into the cake tin and give it a little tap on the surface to remove any air pockets.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until cake tester comes out clean.
- Once the cake has cooked, allow it to slightly cool for 5-10 minutes before removing it from the tin.
- Before serving, glaze the cake with melted marmalade. Just add a couple tablespoons of water to loosen it. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
Recipe from Avant-Garde Vegan.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!