Vegan Roasted Chili Relleno
- 12 C water
- 1 C uncooked brown rice
- 1 T avocado oil
- 1/2 sliced onion
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 1/3 cup chunky salsa
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 can pinto beans drained
- 1/4 t ground cumin
- Sea salt
- 3-4 pasilla peppers
- 1 t avocado oil
Rice: Add water to a large pot and bring to a boil. Then add rice. Cook for 30 minutes. Drain, and rest covered for 10 minutes.
Peppers: Meanwhile preheat oven to high broil and place a rack at the top of your oven.
- Put whole peppers on a baking sheet & spray with oil. Broil 2 minutes on each side, till blistered slightly.
- Turn oven off broil and adjust temp to 375`F.
- Let peppers cool for a few minutes. Then peel away any blistered skin and use a paring knife to cut out the stem. Also cut a slit down one side of the pepper and use your hands or a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Set aside.
Back to Rice: Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add oil & onion. Sauté for 4 minutes, till translucent.
- Next add cooked beans, rice, cumin, sea salt, salsa, and cilantro. Stir and season to taste.
- Place peppers in a lightly greased, 9 x 13” baking pan and generously stuff rice filling into each pepper with a spoon. Top with salsa and cover the pan with foil.
- Bake peppers at 375`F for 15 minutes. Bake 15-20 minutes more, uncovered.
- Serve with sliced avocado, hot sauce, fresh cilantro, lime juice, fresh salsa
Serving: 1pepperCalories: 977kcalCarbohydrates: 173gProtein: 20gFat: 25gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 5gMonounsaturated Fat: 15gSodium: 1362mgPotassium: 1512mgFiber: 15gSugar: 14gVitamin A: 2027IUVitamin C: 294mgCalcium: 240mgIron: 6mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!