Watercress Soup with Potatoes & Peas
A creamy blended soup with the added freshness of watercress, loaded with veggies!
- 6 oz watercress
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 lb potatoes peeled, diced into 1/2"cubes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 2 cups scallions sliced
- 1/4 cup backed basil leaves about 4-5 large leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- coconut milk for topping
- Rinse watercress thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a pot, heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add onions & cook until softened, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add minced ginger, cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Add potatoes, broth, water ,a nd a pinch of salt. Cook covered 10 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Turn off heat and add watercress, peas, scallions, and basil leaves. Keep stirring until the watercress has wilted. Let everything cool in the pot for 10 minutes before blending with an immersion blender or mixing in a blender.
- Pour pureed sop back into the pot to reheat. Season with more salt and pepper, and serve with a splash of coconut milk, if desired.
Recipe adapted from David Liebowitz.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!