Kale may be the superfood of all superfoods, but some aren’t fans, and it can be a bit of a challenge to make this superfood super tasty. So try some of these popular ways to transform kale into a super hero that’s super yummy. Here’s some of our favorite tricks.
- Add lemon. Sautéing some kale with lemon juice will get rid of the bitter taste. Another application is to massage raw kale with lemon juice and give it a bit of time before making a salad. The kale will be softer & brighter.
- Sweeten it up. Add a little honey to your sautéed kale, or sneak it in smoothies. Use only the leaves to keep the flavor mild.
- Jazz it up. If you haven’t discovered your favorite kale chips, try making them with seasoning that you really love. Think of it like homemade gourmet popcorn and add things like parmesan and garlic w/cayenne or chili powder, truffle seasoning, honey and citrus w/chili powder, or flavored olive oils w/sea salt & pepper. The BeRuna seasonings are a super way to make your kale chips addictive!
- Soup…There it is. Before kale’s resurgance, it was a staple in Portuguese soup, which has tons of ingredients and feels like a holiday anytime you have it. So, we also like to add it to bean soups or chili, or even Italian wedding soup. The trick is to add it early on and chop it small so it softens and absorbs all of the tastiness from the soup.
- Double Cook. The more you cook it, the less bitter it tastes. Sautee, then boil your kale, and you might just like it better than simple steamed spinach. Once you do this, you season it however you like- herbs and spices or butter and honey.